Sunday, January 15, 2023

This Ragdoll Wears a Crown (4/28/22)


As I sit here to write today, it’s with joy in my heart and a crown on my head.  I know you think I’m speaking metaphorically, but the fake diamonds on my head say otherwise.  I don’t typically spend my day wearing a crown (well, not most days anyways ;)).  But today in Community Bible Study we completed the end of the Book…Revelation.   And as you can imagine, this was not an easy book to study.  It required a lot of faith and a lot of discipline, at a time when I struggled with many aspects of my health.  It’s my third time reading through and studying Revelation and there are still just as many questions as answers, and that’s OK with God.  I’m not wearing this crown as a consolation prize for finishing the book, but as a reminder that He deems us worthy. 

2 Timothy 4:8 Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.

Jesus died wearing a crown of thorns, so that we might receive the crown of righteousness, glory and life that none of us deserve.  He will take a ragdoll like me and stitch me back up, even better than before putting a glorious crown on my head. 

Being the last day of our study of Revelation and the first day of our summer break, we had a luncheon (princess theme with crowns for all who chose to accept it) to celebrate and to share any personal revelations about our study of either Daniel (from earlier in the year) or Revelation which we just finished.  I sometimes hesitate to share everything I want to, for fear that someone might roll their eyes and say, “Oh, her again.”  But I know the women in my group would never react in that way and have been so incredibly supportive of my journey, so I didn’t let that stop me.

As I opened my mouth to share, I could feel the tears start to well up, recognizing not only the physical wounds from the events of the last month, but also the emotional wounds that left me with a question I was afraid to ask (Why am I afraid?).  As I began sharing, I admitted that while I’m “All In” for Christ and believe God’s word is truth, and I know the beginning and the end and I know that eternity with Him will be better than anything we can imagine on earth, I struggled once again with fear before my last surgery.  Fear is not my M.O. (although I sure seem to be talking about it a lot lately).  But I was faced with an internal dialog where fear and truth were butting heads (and my severely fractured butt couldn’t take anymore!).  But with three mini strokes and a subarachnoid hemorrhage that could’ve killed me just 16 days prior, combined with another round of anesthesia for yet another surgery (the aforementioned severely fractured/collapsed sacrum), I wondered if that last surgery might be the last time saying goodbye to my daughters on the other end of the phone and it was convicting me.  I keep telling myself I'm all in, until the moment that I think I might be closing my eyes for the last time, then reality hits like a wrecking ball.

In sharing with my group, I recalled the phone conversations with Meghan in Austin and Molly in Arizona.  I called prior to my surgery, just so I could hear their voices again and tell them ‘Everything’s gonna be alright’, even if in my mind I wasn’t sure that it was true.  I didn’t want them to worry, which I knew was a futile effort.  They’ve seen me go through so much in the last 9 years, how could they not worry just a little?    Fighting back tears unsuccessfully on the phone, I said goodbye (I love you) to each of them, and my desire to convey strength disappeared with each tear that rolled down my face.  I spoke to my parents, and the word goodbye, wouldn’t even come out of my mouth.  I was lucky to have Will with me when they wheeled me in for this surgery, and he leaned down to give me a kiss on the forehead and the last thing I remember was telling him I loved him.   The tears and the fear were NOT that I might die, but more that I might not stay.  And in that moment, the thought was unbearable. 

As I shared this very personal confession with my Christian sisters, I was once again fighting back tears.  But as had happened so many times before, I was the recipient of very personal prayers on my behalf.  Little did I know that their prayers, both spoken and unspoken, would be answered within half an hour of getting home!

Any time I get a call from 713 or 832, I know it’s Houston (MD Anderson, not NASA😉) calling.  I answered the call, assuming it was related to some recent bloodwork, but was surprised to hear the remnants of what I believe to be an Italian accent on the other end of the line.  It was my new oncologist speaking with a sense of excitement and urgency at the same time.  I was taken by surprise, and quickly realized that her call would illuminate the prayers from earlier in the day. She got notice of a clinical trial that has but a single spot open starting in June (2022). It's an immunotherapy trial, which most people believe is the answer to all cancers, but it hasn't shown any measure of success treating my particular type. BUT it IS a new type of immunotherapy that targets a different genetic marker. It's been very successful in treating mice (sorry, Mickey 😉). It's not specific to my cancer but has worked in some similar solid tumor types.  She informed me that the last time a slot opened it was scooped up within five minutes by another doctor eager to offer their patient hope.  This time, with my consent, it would be God using her to offer me hope once again.   I told her without hesitation and with my crooked smile (from the major facial reconstruction surgery I haven’t even told you about yet), to add my name to the list.  How great is our God the He sometimes answers prayers in unexpected, yet amazing ways?  My sisters in Christ prayed for God to cover me and release me from any fears. And He answered with a mighty YES and so much more.   He answers prayers and He deems us worthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment